Brougham Castle, Cumbria
2 miles Southy East of Penrith
Moor Lane of A66
Brougham Castle was built in the 13th century on the site of a former Roman fort called Brocavum.
Situated on the confluence of the River Lowther and Eamont, its strategic position close to the northern borders has long been understood and exploited.
Today the castle can be seen from the road with a particularly good view of the castle as you cross the road bridge leading to it. Larger than its sister castle at Brough, there is plenty of castle to explore.
~ History ~
1214 ~ Robert de Vieupont builds a stone keep surrounded by a wooden perimeter in a strong strategic position for King John against his northern enemies and their Scottish allies.
1268 ~ Roger Clifford gains Brougham through marriage.
1283 ~ Roger's son Robert inherits the castle upon his fathers death. He is a leading figure in King Edward's campaigns against Scotland.
1296 ~ During the wars with Scotland Robert makes exensive alterations to the castle's defences, including a gatehouse, top storey to the keep, the Tower of League in the castle's southwest corner and stone curtain wall.
1300 ~ The last of the wooden defences of the castle are replaced in stone.
1314 ~ Robert Clifford is killed at the battle of Bannockburn
1380 ~ The castle defences continue to be strengthened throughout the Wars with the Scots, including the building of a new Great Hall.
1388 ~ Following a fierce battle with the Scots the castle is eventually taken and evntually falls into ruin and disuse.
1421 ~ The castle's repairs begin upon tensions rising between the Lancastrian and Yorkist factions of the Royal families and their supporters. The Lancastrian Clifford family would soon be at war with their neighbouring Yorkist Nevilles.
1461 ~ John Clifford is killed fighting for King Henry VI. The Yorkist King Edward IV grants the castle to the Nevilles. John's son Henry Clifford recovers the castle from King Henry VII and under the new Tudor dynasty sees his family prosper.
1525 ~ John's grandson another Henry Clifford is created Earl of Cumberland.
1643 ~ Lady Anne Clifford restores Brougham, together with Skipton, Pendragon, Appleby and Broughs.
1676 ~ Following Lady Brougham Castle is virtually abandoned.