Ogmore Castle, Mid Glamorgan
3 miles South West of Bridgend
The pretty riverside setting of Ogmore Castle belies its medieval strategic location close to the sea, on the marshy floodplain of the Ewenny and Ogmore rivers. The ruins of Ogmore Castle continue to overlook this fording place across the Ewenny, now marked by a picturesque series of stepping stones. Built by the advancing Normans in the closing years of the 11th century, Ogmore was originally an earth-and-timber 'ringwork' castle, but later as with most important Norman castles, acquired a powerful stone keep.
~ History ~
1090's - Following the death of the Welsh prince, Rhys ap Tewdwr, King William II grants lands to many of his trusted courtiers throughout Wales. Robert Fitzhamon moves from his base in Gloucester as far west as the Ogmore river.
1100's - William de Londres, second Earl of Gloucester establishes an earth-and-timber castle at Ogmore.
1116 - The castle is threatened with a Welsh attack.
1130's - Maurice, William's son, strengthens the castle by erecting a simple two storey stone keep.
1183's - Following ferocious Welsh revolts during 1183 & 1184, and the death of Earl in 1189, King Henry II retains Glamorgan as his own until his own death some five years later.
1220's - Ogmore castle, now in the hands of the Turberville family, undergoes substantial remodelling with the inner earth & timber defences being replaced with a stone curtain wall and a gate-tower. The keep and other domestic buildings are also modified, though the outer ward timber defences remain.
1298 - By the late 13th century the castle has passed, through marriage, to the de Chaworth family. Eight years after the death of Patrick de Chaworth, his daughter Matilda marries the Earl of Lancaster. One hundred years later, in 1399, Henry of Lancaster becomes King Henry IV, and so Ogmore passes into the hands of the crown.
1349 - Successive bad harvests and The Black Death of 1349, have a profound affect on the once prosperous lordship of Ogmore, which takes many years to recover.
1400's - Recovery is dealt a further blow during 1402-05, when the castle and lordship suffer serious damage during the Owain Glyndwr uprising.
1428 - A survey states: ' the castle of Ogmore is not worth as much as it costs in repair because it was destroyed in the time of the rebellion.'
1429-55 - A number of building repairs are made to the castle.
1454-1803 - The Court House situated in the outer ward continues to be used for court sessions.