Innerpeffray Castle, Perthshire
South-east of Crief
~ History ~
1560's ~ Following the Scottish Reformation ownership of the Innerpeffray estate passes from Inchaffray abbey into the hands of Sir John Drummond, the eldest son of Sir John Drummond, 1st Lord Drummond.
Sir John becomes the 1st laird of Innerpeffray.
Following Sir John's death, the entire estate including the castle became the property of his son, Sir John Drummond, 2nd Laird of Innerpeffray.
Due to the fact that he does not live to see a male descendant, Innerpeffray later passes into the hands of his second daughter, named Agnes.
During her colorful life, Agnes Drummond marries three times. Her first chosen husband is Sir Hugh Campbell of Loundon, Sheriff of Ayr. After his death, Agnes marries Sir Hugh Montgomery, 3rd Earl of Eglinton.
Finally her third and last husband is her cousin Sir Patrick Drummond, 3rd Lord Drummond.
1590 ~ Following the death of Agnes Sir Patrick builds the tower house of Innerpeffray castle.
Soon after, Sir Patrick hands over the lands to his minor brother James Drummond.
1609 ~ King James VI of Scotland awards Sir James Drummond the title of 1st Lord Maddery.
1610 ~ Sir James rebuilds the tower house, enlarging its windows with characteristic decorative stepped gables.
1692 ~ Innerpeffray remains the headquarters of the Lords of Maddery until the death of Sir David Drummond, when it is allowed to fall into ruin.