Corsewall Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
Corsewall, 10m NW of Stranraer
Corsewall Castle is a ruinous 15th century tower house which once stood three storey high but now just the vaulted basement remain. It was once surrounded by a defensive ditch, but today can be found in a field on private land with unfortunately no public access. It can however be seen from the roadside. The castle was eventually abandoned in favour of nearby Corsewall House built in the 18th century.
The name Corsewall comes from 'Cor-Siale' which means 'the round hill on the Brine'
~ History ~
1333 ~ Corsewall passes from the Stewarts of Dreghorn to the Campbells of Loudoun.
1547 ~ The tower house passes through marriage to the MacDowalls of Gathland. John MacDowell is killed at the Battle of Pinkie.
1633 ~ Corsewall castle, lands and barony are recorded as being in the ownership of Alexander Stewart.
1684 ~ The castle is recorded as 'a considerable house, but now wholly ruinous'.