Corston Tower, Fife
Dryside Road, Off A91
Corston Tower can be seen from the main road, set within rolling fields which you can cross with due consideration to get to the tower. Sadly, only the east wall stands to the original three storey height, the rest having collapsed one night in the 19th century.
~ History ~
1400's ~ The Corston estate belongs to the Ramsays of Carnock.
1486 ~ Sir John Ramsey or Corston, a great favourite of King James III, is appointed Lord Bothwell.
1488 ~ Sir John proves himself a true and loyal friend to his King, and is with him when the King is murdered.
He is spared but refuses to swear allegiance to the new King James IV, and so is outlawed and his estates, including Corston forfeited and handed over to Sir Patrick Hepburn of Dunsyre, Lord Hailes.
The castle however remains in the hands of the Ramsey's.
1669 ~ The castle passes to the Colquhouns.
1882 ~ Much of the crumbling castle falls but is roofed, partially patched up and rebuilt by the Marquess of Bute.