4 miles SW of Selkirk
Aikwood Tower is a restored tower house which has won no less than five architectural awards.
It is now under the ownership of David Steel MP's family, who have refurbished the property, upgrading its facilities.
It is today earning its living as a sumptuous venue for a whole variety of things such a accommodation and weddings.
A private property but accessible when open for business.
~ History ~
1517 ~ The land of Aikwood is granted to the Scott family.
1600's ~ Ownership passes to the Scotts of Harden, a major Border family, whose head became ‘Baron of Harden and Oakwood’. They remain in possession of Aikwood for over 300 years.
1611 ~ The handsome Sir William Scott of Harden who, along with his father, is a renowned ‘Border Reiver’.
On a raid to Elibank Castle by the Tweed, he is captured and given the choice between being hanged or marrying the Laird of Elibank’s daughter, ‘Muckle Mou’d Meg’ (big mouthed Meg).
The Harden Scotts continued to own Aikwood up until just after the Second World War. In the early part of that time, it was usually occupied by the heir of the family, who takes an active part in local Selkirk civic affairs. However, from the mid eighteenth century, the tower is abandoned as a home and the farm was let out.