Caisteal Nan Con, Ardnamurchan
7.5 miles north-west of Lochaline
Caisteal Nan Con, The Castle of the Hounds, stands in a commanding position on a rocky outcrop on the east shore overlooking the Sound of Mull.
Little remains other than remnants of the boundary walls and some internal walls.
The Castle stands on the site of an iron age fort and was used as a hunting lodge by the MacLean's of Duart and Aros Castle. It was abandoned in the early 18th century.
Access to the Castle of the Hounds is rather tricky and should only by attempted at low tide.
Park at lay-by near the Castle and make your way across the rocky shoreline and beach to the Castle. The route can be very boggy, so good boots is a must.
~ History ~
1670's ~ Allan Maclean builds a three-storey fortified hall house.
1719 ~ The castle is abandoned soon after a government man-of-war attack Jacobite rebels garrisoned at the castle.
1750 ~ The castle is recorded as being derelict.