Dally Castle, Northumberland
4 miles west of Bellingham
Dally Castle is an interesting ruin that is located on a strong site above the Chirdon Burn, close by the road side next to a small cottage where there is a small car park for visitors.
The remains of the two storey tower with walls 5 feet thick is further strengthened with buttresses and fortified with arrow loops.
A few metres east of the castle are the foundations of another building thought to have been a chapel.
DaIly Castle also has its tragic legend: the owner's sister fell in love with her brother's enemy, Gilbert of Tarset. During one of their meetings, the couple were surprised by her brother, who pursued Gilbert to the summit of Hareshaw Common. A fight took place and Gilbert was slain. The spot where he felI is known today as Gib's Cross.
~ History ~
1230 ~ King Alexander II of Scotland grants the manor of Chirdon to his sister Margaret, who in turns grants it to David de Lindsay.
1237 ~ Henry de Bolebec, sheriff of Northumberland, complains to king Henry III of England that de Lindsay is erecting a thickly walled defensive tower. Construction on the tower stops.
1255 ~ King Henry formally confirms and recognises Lindsay as in possession of the manor of Chirdon.
1293 ~ King Edward I confiscates the manor and grants it to Robert de Swinburn, who completes the building of the tower.
1323 ~ Following Roberts death the tower and manor revert to the English Crown.
1326 ~ A raid by the Scots across the border into England see's the manor pillaged and tower burnt down.
1604 ~ The Dodd family occupy the ruin as tenants to the Crown.
1605 ~ Dally Castle is given to George Home, Earl of Dunbar.
1611 ~ Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk obtains the castle referred to a Dala Castle through marriage.
1660's ~ The ruined castle is sold to the Charltons family. Later much of the remaining stone work is removed for material to build a neaby mill.