Scotstarvit Tower is a well preserved six storey 15th and 16th century L-plan tower located on high ground about three miles south of Cupar. The only date appearing on the tower is 1627 which is generally accepted as a date not when it was buit, but later modifications. The tower grounds are open all year round, with limited parking off the main road, with a short walk up to the tower. When we visited the tower was closed.
~ History ~
1579 ~ A charter confirms a tower in existence on the barony of Tarvit.
1611 ~ Sir John Scott purchases and renames the estate. From within its walls he writes his celebrated "Scot ofScotstarvit's Staggering State of Scots Statesmen'.
1621 ~ Sir John he is in receipt of an act in his favour for the lands and barony of Tarvit, with the tower, fortalice, manor place, houses, outbuildings, yards, orchards, rabbit-warren, doocot and mill thereof.
1627 ~ Modifications to the tower are made, with a heraldic panel inserted over the door of Sir John Scott and his wife Dame Agnes Drummond.
1780 ~ The tower is sold to the Gourlays of Craigrothie, the later still to the Wemyss family, before eventually being given to teh National Trust for Scotland in 1949.