Lordscarnie Castle, Fife
North west of Cupar
B road between A92 and A913
Lordscarnie Castle once stood on an island in a loch, which seems hard to believe now in this featureless field. The site is quite ancient, having been inhabited before the Iron Age. In the Middle Ages a timber castle was built only to be later rebuilt in stone.
Unfortunately the castle is on private land.
1537 ~ Alexander Lindsay's son Sir David Lindsay, 8th Earl of Crawford, is imprisoned in Finavon Castle by his own son, Alexander Lindsay, Lord Crawford. Alexander is subsequently known as the "Wicked Master" and is later disinherited by Sir David. The title of 9th Earl of Crawford later passes instead to to his relative – Sir David Lindsay of Edzell.
1542 ~ Alexander Lindsay, Lord Crawford, is killed in a street brawl by a shoemaker from the city of Dundee.
King James V stops at Lordscairne Castle on his way back from the Battle of Solway Moss to Falkland Palace, where he dies a few weeks later.
1600's ~ Lordscairnie Castle is eventually abandoned as a lord's residence.
1689 ~ For some time after the abolition of the Church of Scotland, the hall of the castle is used by members of the Episcopal congregation.