Wallace's Tower, Roxburghshire
Roxburgh 4 miles south-west of Kelso
Teviot Road, A699
Wallace's Tower is a 16th century stone tower house, possibly founded by Walter Ker of Cessford. The basement of the rectangular main block is vaulted, the west wing which contained a spiral stair and probably the entrance is totally ruined. On the south angle is an additional square vaulted wing but sadly the tower, only stands to the height of the first floor.
~ History ~
1416 ~ The powerful Douglas family own the stronghold of Old Roxburgh for the Scottish Crown.
Later after their downfall, it passes to the Kerr's of Cessford.
1543 ~ Wallace's Tower is named in a charter which confirms Walter Ker of Cessford as owner of the lands of the East Mains of Roxburgh. It is built as part of a chain of signal towers which also includes Sunlaw Tower, designed to warn of English attacks or other dangers.
1544 ~ The castle is burned by the English under the command of Sir Ralph Eure.
1545 ~ The English again return, led by the Duke of Somerset, and utterly raze the castle to the ground to such an extent it is never again repaired or held against the invading English.