Dilston Castle, Northumberland
3 miles east of Hexham
B6307, off A695
Dilston Castle is an interesting ruin located in the private grounds of Dilston College. Permission to access the castle grounds is therefore necessary.
~ History ~
1317 ~ The stone castle and manor of the Dyvelstons pass to the Tyndales.
1379 ~ The Claxton's obtain Dilston.
1415 ~ William Claxton builds a stone castle.
1430 ~ The Tyndales continue their long-standing claim for Dilston and John Tyndale forces through this claim by taking the tower with the support of the powerful Percies of Northumberland.
1441 ~ Sir Robert Claxton regains possession of the tower.
1480's ~ The Cartington's gain the tower through marriage, who later add to the existing tower.
1521 ~ The Radcliffe family obtain the tower and they too add to the tower.
1616 ~ Sir Francis Radcliffe is arrested on suspicion of complicity to the Gunpowder Plot. Following his eventual release he begins to extend the tower with a new chapel on the south side.
1622 ~ Following Sir Francis death, his son Edward completes his father's work on the tower.
1688 ~ The Radcliffe's are created Earls of Derwentwater.
The third Earl begins an extensive rebuilding scheme, leaving just the tower, chapel and gateway, creating a new range of accomodation.
1715 ~ The Earl is executed for his involvement in the Jacobite rebellion.
1731 ~ The Earls son dies and with his passing the estate is confiscated and given to the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital.
1760 ~ The Commissioners demolish the newer accomodation wing of the tower.
1865 ~ The Lords Admiralty are the new owners of the tower.
1868 ~ A woman named Amelia camps in the ruins, claiming to be a descendant of John Radcliffe and therefore the righful owner. She is eventiually removed, although she continues to camp close by.
1874 ~ The tower is sold to William Beaumont, later Lord Allandale.