Castle Pulverbatch, Shropshire
Pulberpatch, SW of Shrewsbury
Bebbington Cottages Road
Castle Pulverbatch is superbly cited to guard an ancient route along the English Welsh border. It commands extensive views to its south and is defended on that side by a steep slope falling 100 feet to the stream below. To the north side impressive ditch and ramparts provided its first line of defense. To the west of the motte an impressive large bailey provided the domestic buildings. For a castle that remained earth and timber in construction throughout its life it is still in very good condition. There is a car park beside the castle which is popular with dog walkers.
~ History ~
1086 ~ Roger 'the Hunter' Venator who holds one of the Earl of Shrewsbury's six manors builds himself a motte and bailey castle 'Polbebec' to protect the important Shrewsbury to Bishop's Castle route. Along with his brother Norman, he was a huntsman for the Earl and was subsequently granted land in the Shropshire forests.
1150 ~ The castle is recorded to be in the hands of Herbert de Castello, who had obtained the castle through marriage to the heiress Emma de Pulverbatch.
1200's ~ The castle passes to the Kilpeck family, held by William de Cantilupe during the minority of the young Hugh de Kilpeck. It soon falls into a state of disrepair and partially abandoned.
1254 ~ Philip Marmion, who had acquired the castle following his marriage to Hugh de Kilpeck's widow, is granted the right to hold a weekly market at Pulverbatch on Monday's, and an annual three-day fair in September dedicated to St Edith the Virgin, to whom the church in Pulverbatch is dedicated to.
1291 ~ Philip Marmion dies. The castle passes to his nephew Ralph Botelar.
1427 ~ To add to the domestic over defensive priorites of the castle's life, a chapel is built in the castle.