N of Galashiels
Minor road north of B6374
Langshaw Tower is a fortified mansion once held by Melrose Abbey, close to Colmslie and Hillslap Towers. The name of the castle translates as 'long wood' and started out as an L-plan tower house.
Access is from the road via a gate, where with consideration of the neighbours, there is limited parking. Do take care exploring the ruin as it is ina poor state of repair.
~ History ~
1586 ~ Langshaw is held by George Hoppringle from its original owners the Borthwicks of Langshaw.
1606 ~ James Hoppringle sells Langshaw to Sir Gideon Murray of Elibank Castle.
1609 ~ The ownership of Langshaw Tower passes to John, Earl of Haddington.
1617 ~ The castle is returned to the Murrays.
1619 ~ Elizabeth Dundas, second wife of Sir Patrick Murray, purchases the tower.
1661 ~ The Scott family are recorded as the towers new owners.
1695 ~ William Turnbull of Langshaw purchases the tower.
1700's ~ Langshaw tower is used as the village school until this moves from the tower, leaving the building to fall into ruin under the ownership of the Nicholsons and then the Bailles of Jerviswood.