South-east of Stirling
Minor road off B9124
Plane Castle is a restored 15th century tower house that is adjoined to a 16th century manor house, earning its living today as luxury holiday accomodation. Extensively remodelled in 1908 it fell into disrepair in the 1930's until extensive restoration in the 1990's. As such it is in wonderful condition and is easily accessible as it is located on a minor road close to Stirling.
~ History ~
1314 ~ Following the Battle of Bannockburn the Barony of Plean is granted to John d'Erth by King Robert the Bruce.
1430's ~ The three storey tower is built before passing through marriage to the Somervell family.
1528 ~ A manor house is built on the adjacent courtyard to the tower,
1643 ~ Owing money, James Somervell, 8th Lord of Plane, sells the lands and barony. The property passes to the Nicholsons and then the Elphinstones, before later falling into ruin.
1746 ~ Bonnie Prince Charles Jacobite troops are billeted at thecastle and manor house while he stays at nearby Bannockburn House.