Prior Castells Tower, Inner Farne Island
Inner Farn Island
Prior Castell's Tower can be seen from Bamburgh beach and castle and comprises of a three storey stone tower house with a castellated parapet built at the end of the 15th century. The tower which was originally 4 storeys, measuring 40 feet by 23 feet with walls up to 6 feet thick.
Access by boat. Viewed from the fabulous beach.
~ History ~
1500 ~ Thomas Castell, Prior of Durham, has a stone tower built on the island in order to protect the Houze of Farne, a small Benedictine monastic cell established some two hundred and fifty years earlier.
1530's ~ The Dissolution of the Monasteries leads to the monks being forced to leave the tower.
1559 ~ The tower is garrisoned as a coastal fortification with repairs undertaken, recognising that if it was captured, it could easily become a base from which to harass the shipping ports of Berwick, Bamburgh and Holy Island.
1637 ~ The last of the garrison leaves the tower.
1673 ~ King Charles II grants a license to erect a beacon and on the tower and so begins a new role as a lighthouse.