W of Weem, near Aberfeldy
Castle Menzies is an excellent and large example of a Z-plan tower-house, consisting of a central block with flanking towers at opposing corners.
Ground floor gun loops around each of its walls provide the principal lines of defence.
Today it is open to all as a visitor attraction, museum, Clan centre for the Menzies Clan and venue for weddings, concerts and other hire.
~ History ~
1488 ~ Following the destruction of Clan Menzies stronghold of Comrie Castle, Sir Robert Menzies begins the building of a new fortified mansion, the 'Place of Ween'. However, this suffers the same fate when it burns down just fourteen years later, after being attacked by Neil Stewart of Garth. A new Z-plan castle is built close by.
1577 ~ Extensive alterations are made to the castle in view of more settled times of peace and prosperity.
1644 ~ Scotland is again in state of War. The clab chield, Sir Alexander Menzies, having declined to support the Royalist cause, harasses the Royalist army led by the Marquis of Montrose.
1646 ~ The Parliamentary General Monk's forces occupy the castle.
1715 ~ Jacobite troops occupy the castle as rebellion for the Stewart cause leads to open warfare.
1746 ~ As the second Jacobite uprising escalates, the Menzies are ejected from the castle by the Duke of Cumberland's forces, after they had allowed Bonnie Prince Charlie to stay for two nights.
Following the disaster of Culloden and collapse of the Jacobite cause, the castle is eventually returned to the Menzies of Weem who retain it until the death of the last of the main line of the family in 1918. After various owners and being used as Polish army medical stores in the second world war, it returned to the Menzies in 1957