~ History ~
1479 ~ George Douglas of Bonjedward grants Timpendean to his son, Andrew who builds the Tower House, with walls almost 6 feet thick and standing four storeys tall.
A curtain wall with several buildings as well as a dam for additional defence and water supply are later added.
1513 ~ George is involved in a Skirmish at Sclaterford with a large English army. George Douglas is one of the leaders for the Scots army. The following year he is award the position as Sheriff of Roxburgh.
1545 ~ The tower is attacked during the War of the Rough Wooing. An English force under Edward Seymour, Earl of Hereford invades southern Scotland in an attempt to compel a marriage between King Edward VI and Mary, Queen of Scots.
The tower suffers extensive damage but is repaired after the war has ended.
1843 ~ The property is sold to William Kerr, Marquis of Lothian, but is later abandoned and allowed to drift into ruin.
Near Lanton, South-West of Kelson
Timpendean is a late fifteenth century tower adjacent to the site of an earlier fortification. It was attacked by the English during the War of the Rough Wooing but was later repaired and, in the seventeenth century, was expanded by the addition of a new wing and abandoned in the 19th century.
The name Timpendean means 'valley by the hill with the fort'.
You can just about see the tower from the road set high in fields accessed by a farm track and then across left across fields. The tower contains so many wonderful features for such a small building it is well worth the pleasant walk from the road.