10 Pomathorn Rd
Uttershill Castle overlooks the town of Penicuik on a steep sided hill, near to the junction of the Black Burn with the River North Esk. What remains of the castle is the ruined hall-block surrounded by earthworks hidden beneath extensive undergrowth and a metal fence due to safety concerns.
Access to the site is quite trickey as the entrance is on a tight bend in the road, so park either down the hill in Pomathorn Bank, or up hill in Pomathorn Road, with a short walk back to the tight bend to the castle.
~ History ~
1590's ~ A two storey defensive bastle surrounded with a barmkin and courtyard is built by the Penicuik family.
1604 ~ The castle passes to the Preston family.
1641 ~ Uttershill becomes the principle seat of the Barony of Gorton, also known as Preston. George Preston being the son of David Preston of Craigmillar.
1717 ~ The estate is sold to Sir John Clerk, with Robert Preston moving out two years later. Uttershill is used as a farmhouse and later still as a gunpowder store before falling into ruin.