Langley Castle, Northumberland
Langley Castle Hotel, Langley, Hexham
Langley Castle is a fine example of a 14th century tower house.
This impressive building, now earning its living as a hotel, is in wonderful condition, by far the most perfect of its kind in the country.
It has walls almosts eleven feet thick with towers sixty-six feet high in each corner, in a 'H' design.
The castle hotel is well signposted, situated on the south bank of the River Tyne in lovely grounds just off the main road.
~ History ~
1360's ~ Sir Thomas de Lucy builds himself a strong tower house.
It later passes through marriage to Gilbert de Umfraville, Earl of Angus.
1381 ~ Following Gilbert's death the castle passes to Henry de Percy, Earl of Northumberland.
1403 ~ As a consequence of the unsuccessful Percy rebellion with Owain Glyndwr against King Henry IV, the castle is captured and burnt.
1414 ~ The castle is held by the King's third son John, Duke of Bedford.
1441 ~ Following a long running legal battle the castle is restored to the Earl of Northumberland.
1537 ~ Langley reverts to the Crown, but by this time it is reported without floors or roof.
1557 ~ The castle is once again returned to the Earl of Northumberland, only to be sold to Sir Reynold Carnaby a few years later.
1668 ~ The Radcliffes of Dilston are created Earls of Derwentwater and obtain the castle.
1715 ~ Following the 3rd Earl of Derwentwater's involvement in the failed Jacobite rebellion, Langley Castle is confiscated and granted to
the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital,
1800's ~ The castle is used by a farmer and visitors note signs of fire upon its walls.
1865 ~ The castle is transferred to the Lords of Admiralty who in turn sell it to Cadwaller Bates, who restores the ruin and makes it habitable once more.