South West of Tranent
Minor road off A9094 / A1
Fa'side Castle acquired its unusual name from the Fawside family who obtained control of the site in the late fourteenth century. However the site can trace its history back to the twelfth century.
The neglected and ruined castle was saved and in the mid-1970s when it was purchased for restoration.
The work cost more than originally expected and so the castle was repossessed before it was completed.
It was later sold on to new owners and today serves as a private hotel/bed and breakfast. A lovely castle.
~ History ~
1189 ~ Land is granted to Saer de Quincy, Earl of Winchester. On his death it is granted to his son Roger who later grants it to his own son-in-law, Alan la Zouche of Ashby. A fortified tower surrounded with outer buildings are built.
1288 ~ The castle is attacked by Sir William Douglas, who returns again a few years later at the start of the first War of Scottish Independence due to the family allegiance with the English.
1306 ~ Fa'side Castle is one of the many fortified sites seized by Robert the Bruce. He grants the castle to the Seton family.
1371 ~ The Seton family sell the castle to the Fawsides. They later rebuild the castle in the form of a four storey Tower House within a defensive courtyard.
1547 ~ King Henry VIII's army led by Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset are heading north into Scotland during the War of the Rough Wooing, to force the Scots to agree to the infant Mary Queen of Scots marriage to King Henry's young son, and future King Edward of England. A large Scottish army intercepts the English invasion force near to Fa'side castle. The subsequent Battle of Pinkie is a tactical victory for the English who burn Fa’side Castle in the wake of their victory.
1567 ~ The rebuilt and repaired Fa'side Castle hosts Mary, Queen of Scots stay before departing the following day for the Battle of Carberry Hill.
Further modifications are made in the following years to convert it into an L-plan configuration. The new tower has corbelled turrets projecting out from the top of its two southern corners.
1631 ~ The castle passes out of the hands of the Fawsides when it is sold to an Edinburgh merchant. Over the subsequent centuries it is allowed to fall into ruin and at one point was on the brink of being demolished.