Carsluith Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
Nr Creetown, Newton Stewart
Carsluith Castle overlooks Wigtown Bay close to the main road four miles south of Creetown.
It began as a simple 15th century rectangular tower expanded throughout the 16th century.
Today it is in very good condition, albeit still roofless with great views out to the sea.
The missing floors allow you to look up and view all the intricate windows, fireplaces and nooks and crannies. A lovely tower house to visit with plenty of parking and cafe with easy access from the road.
~ History ~
1420's ~ John Cairns of Orcharton, nephew of a follower of the 4th Earl of Douglas has a simple tower built for him.
1460 ~ The tower passes from the Cairns family to James Lindsey.
1513 ~ Sir Herbert Lindsey is killed at the Battle of Flodden Field leading to his estates passing to the Brown family. The catholic Brouns are in bitter conflict with their neighbouring protestant McCulloch's of nearby Barholm Castle.
1568 ~ A smaller but taller wing is added to the tower by Richard Broun.
1579 ~ John Broun is fined £40 when his namesake son fails to appear to answer the charges of murdering the laird of Barholm.
1606 ~ Gilbert Broun, born at Carsluith and last Abbot of Sweetheart Abbey is imprisoned in Blackness Castle.
1609 ~ Gilbert manages to successfully resist the Reformation until he is finally expelled to France.
1748 ~ The Brouns sell their estates and castle to fund their emigration to India. Their castle is abandoned and left to decay.