Pittulie Castle, Aberdeenshire
Pittulie Castle is just a corn field away from Pitsligo Castle.
It is a 17th century tower house that once consisted of a further wing, towers and walls surrounding a courtyard and gateway. Today much of this is gone leaving just the ruins of the main tower house, which is set within fields of corn and is quite striking on a summer's day.
You can park with consideration off the road small road next to cottages that back onto the corn fields which the castle is set, and take the short walk to explore this lovely castle.
~ History ~
1300's ~ Clan Fraser hold Pittullie from their overlords the mighty Clan Douglas.
1455 ~ The young King James, now a man matured and in charge of Royal affairs, summoned the 8th Earl Douglas to a meeting at Edinburgh Castle, giving personal assurances to his safety. Following a quarrel, the Earl is brutally stabbed to death with King James striking the first blow and one of his courtiers the final with a pole axe.
James Douglas, his brother and successor, now the 9th Earl, sack the Royal estates in Stirling in retaliation.
Open rebellion comes to a head at the Battle of Arkinholm when the royal forces consisting mainly of Red Douglas's and Clan Johnstone, their neighbours, capture the Castle of Abercorn. Archibald Douglas, Earl of Moray is killed in the battle and his head presented to the King. Hugh Douglas, Earl of Ormonde is captured and executed and John Douglas, Lord of Balvenie flees to England.
James Douglas, the 9th and Clan chief, is absent during this period, in England trying to muster support. The rest of the Black Douglas's properties and lands are declared forfeit to the crown. James Douglas, now an outlaw and rebel Earl, is eventually captured at Lochmaben Castle and lives out the rest of his life as a Royal prisoner.
As a result of this spectacular fall from power, Clan Fraser of Pittullie no longer hold their lands of Clan Douglas.
1596 ~ Alexander Fraser gives Pittulie to his son Alexander and his wife Margaret Abernethy,
1631 ~ Castle Pittullie is built by one the Ogilvy's of nearby Boyne, who is married to Mary, sister of the Forbes Laird of neighbouring Pitsligo castle.
1746 ~ Hanoverian troops burn Pittulie Castle during the savage aftermath of the Jacobite defeat at Culloden.
1770's ~ The remains of Pittullie Castle are dismantled by William Forbes.