Drochil Castle, Midlothian
Drochil Castle Farm, West Linton
B7509, off A72
Drochil Castle is a large, ruined 16th Century Z-Plan tower house. It consists of an almost square central block with two projecting towers.
The hall was on the first floor with an adjoining private chamber, while many rooms occupied the floors above.
There is still quite a lot of this fabulous castle left to see, with many curious and special features.
Today the castle is in the grounds of a house and farm that runs a Bed & Breakfast, so due consideration from the owners to look round the ruin is essential.
Although you cannot get into the castle itself due to its ruinous state, this has to be one of the most impressive finds in our exploration of the Scottish Borders.
~ History ~
1570's ~ James Douglas, Earl of Morton builds Drochil Castle, seven years after he is made Chancellor of Scotland, but dismissed for his part in the murder of Rizzio, Queen Mary of Scots Secretary.
1572 ~ James Douglas is made regent of Scotland and rules for the next six years.
1582 ~ Following the murder of Lord Darnley, Queen Mary's unpopular husband, James Douglas is tried and executed by the Maiden - the Scottish equivalent of the French guillotine.
1630 ~ The castle is abandoned.
1686 ~ The castle is purchased by William Douglas, 1st Duke of Queensberry, and the ruins are still owned by his descendant the Duke of Buccleuch