Balmangan Tower, Dumfries and Galloway
Balmangan Tower is a small 16th century tower house built and held by the MacLellan's until it passed to the Maxwell's in the following century. Little now remains except the vaulted basement and some of the hall on the first floor.
There was once a turnpike stair in one corner.
The tower is located in a private garden but can be seen from the road.
~ History ~
1500's ~ The MacLellan's build themselves a tower house at Balmangan overlooking Kirkudbright Bay.
1600's ~ The tower passes the the Maxwell's.
1663 ~ Robert Maxwell of Balmangan is recorded as being the owner of the tower.
1680's ~ The Carson's become the new owners of the tower.
1705 ~ The tower is sold to the Hamilton's of Baldoon.