Lulworth Castle, Dorset
East Lulworth, Wareham
Lulworth Castle is a lavish early 17th country house set in beautiful park land. Its true 12th century castle origins long lost to history, albeit it did see some minimal action in the Civil War when it was taken from its Royalist owners by Parliament.
~ History ~
1142 ~ The timber castle at Lulworth is taken by Robert of Gloucester during the Anarchy Civil War between King Stephen and Empress Matilda. The castle being held by the De Lolleworths for the De Newbourgh family against the King. They would not be able to reclaim their estates until after the Civil War had ended with the death of King Stephen and Matilda's son crowned King Heny II.
1559 ~ Elizabeth, great-grandaughter of Roger Newburgh marries Thomas Howard.
1588 ~ The foundations of a new stone castle are made for Thomas Howard, 3rd Viscount Howard of Bindon, a grandson of the 3rd Duke of Norfolk.
1608 ~ The castle is finally completed and is used as a lavish hunting lodge by the Viscount. Guests include King James I.
1641 ~ Humphrey Weld purchases the castle from Howard's heir, Lord Howard de Walden. With the assistance of his brother Sir John Weld, he manages to secure the £42,860 funds necessary for the purchase.
1646 ~ Humphrey together with his Royalist Cavalier garrison are forced to surrender Oxford to the Parliamentarians. Due to the Civil War raging in England, a quarter of his payment for Lulworth Castle is still unpaid.
His castle at Lulworth is also seized by Parliament who use it as a garrison and strip its roof of its lead to make musket balls for the siege of neaby Corfe Castle.
Weld does not regain his castle until after the civil war has finished.
1786 ~ A Roman Catholic chapel is built in the grounds. Following the French Revolution, the surviving members of the French royal family are allowed to use Lulworth as one of their residences-in-exile.
1830 ~ King Charles X of France stays at the castle briefly following the July Revolution.