Narbeth Castle, Pembrokeshire
A478 / A40
Narbeth is a rectangular single ward stone castle with four corner towers set on a steep sided knoll of a hill. The gatehouse was set into the north wall and could well have been linked to the dominant north-east tower with its great dungeon.
Its location was well within reach of the Glyndwr Rebellion though the castle and the surrounding area remained under English influence under the watchful eye of Thomas Carrew.
~ History ~
1116 - The first records of an occupied castle at Narbeth.
1402 - The influential Baron Roger Mortimer joins forces with Owain Glyndwr following his capture. As a result his younger brother, Edmund Mortimer, forfeits his castle at Narbeth.
1404 - Thomas Carrew is awarded with a Lordship in recognition of his small garrison of men-at-arms and bowmen, keeping the castle and surrounding area secure from Owain Glyndwr's Welsh rebellion, when all other surrounding castles and towns have fallen or their garrisons fled.
1425 - King Henry V, out of courtesy to the powerful Morimer family, reverts the Lordship of Narbeth back to Sir Edmunds nephew of the same name. This reward, for loyal service in the war against France, is seen as rather ironic, as the young Mortimer is the true heir to the English throne. Unfortunately for Edmund, he dies childless and with the accession of his nephew's son as Edward IV, Narbeth reverts to the Crown.
1500's - The castle is no longer inhabited and is left to fall into ruin and disrepair.