Edlingham Castle, Northumberland
~ History ~
1295 ~ William de Felton purchases the wodden hall-house from Walter Edlingham. William commences the rebuilding of the hall-house in stone.
1370's ~ The tower house is built as an addition to the existing stone hall house to improve its defences. A gatehouse and curtain wall are soon added to complete the improved defences.
1396 ~ Upon the death of John de Felton, grandson to William who had originally commenced the building from timber hall-house to castle, is finally completed.
1402 ~ John's son, also named John, dies and so the castle passes through marriage to Sir Edmund Hastings. He in turn leases the castle to the Swinburnes, who eventually purchase and improve the castle.
1661 ~ Following the Civil War the Scots plunder and remove much of its materials.
1715 ~ The castle is surveyed as being in ruin.
1860 ~ A survey records the castle as reduced to 'grass covered mounds', except for the fragments of the remaining tower.
Edlingham, West of Alnwick
Edlingham Castle is a fortified hall-house dating back to the laste 13th century, built upon an earlier timber hall surrounded by a moat.
The tower itself is some 30 feet square, with diagonal buttresses on the corners of the tower, which gives it such an unusual look. Here the walls are some 6 feet thick, similar to the curtain wall to the court yard, which contained lavish apartments in addition to the main hall.
The defences were later improved to include a barbican infront of the main gatehouse.
The castle is set in sprawling hills with lovely views in all directions, and there is enough of the foundations to get a good understanding how the castle might have looked in its hey-day.