~ History ~
1590's ~ Johnnie Kennedy builds a tower house in order to secure his lands.
1644 ~ Following the death of Thomas Kennedy, the castle passes to John, Earl of Carrick in order to pay of some of his debts.
A714 Barhill Road
Pinwherry Castle is 16th century 'L' plan tower house built on a hill commanding the junction of the fording point across the River Stinchar. It once had a courtyard and outbuildingsnow long gone.
Pinwherry itself means “The hill in the hollow, surrounded by hills, where the waters meet”. These waters being the Stinchar and the Duisk
Today it is partially hidden by trees on private land behind cottages and is visible from the road.