Locknaw Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
~ History ~
1390 ~ Old Lochnaw castle built on its island is sacked by Archibald the Grim of the 'Black' Douglas Clan of Threave Castle. It is soon after abandoned.
1426 ~ A new five storey tower house is built on the side of the loch to replace the earlier castle following Andrew Agnew being granted the lands and constableship of Lochnaw Castle from William Douglas.
1451 ~ Andrew Agnew is appointed Sheriff of Wigtown.
1513 ~ Patrick Agnew, 4th of Lochnaw, dies shortly after the Battle of Flodden against the English from wounds.
1547 ~ Andrew Agnew, 5th of Lochnaw, iss killed at the Battle of Pinkie fighting against the English.
1628 ~ Sir Patrick Agnew is made MP for Wigtownshire, which he represents for the next five years.
1629 ~ Sir Patrick is made a Baronet of Nova Scotia andmarries Lady Anne Stewart, daughter of the first Earl of Galloway.
1643 ~ Sir Patrick is returned to his role as MP for a further five years.
1661 ~ Sir Patrick is succeeded by his eldest son, Andrew who is also sheriff of Kirkcudbrightand Wigtownshire. He later follows in his fathers footsteps as MP for Wigtownshire.
1743 ~ Sir Andrew Agnew of Lochnaw, married to his kinswoman, Eleanor Agnew of Lochryan, with whom he has twenty one children, distinguishes himself commanding the Royal Scots Fusiliers against the French at the Battle of Dettingen. King George II of Great Britain, the last British monarch to lead troops in battle, remarks to Agnew that French cavalry had been let among his regiment. Sir Andrew replies, "Yes, please your Majesty, but they didna win back again".
1745 ~ Sir Andrew becomes a Lieutenant General and Governor of Tynemouth Castle. During the Jacobite rising the Clan Agnew continue their support of the British Government. Sir Andrew also holds Blair Castle, seat of the Duke of Atholl, against Jacobite forces. Agnew's forces are near starvation when Bonnie Prince Charles calls the Jacobite forces to retreat to Inverness to meet the advance of the Duke of Cumberland.
2 miles from the village of Leswalt
The Lochnaw Castle Estate was for centuries the hereditary home of the Scottish Clan Agnew.
Lochnaw Loch also contains a number of Crannogs, indicating much earlier fortified dwellings dating back to the Iron Age.
On the edge of the estate overlooking the Irish Sea, lies the rermains of one of the largest Iron Age hill forts in Scotland.
At some time in the very early 18th Century Lochnaw Loch was drained and stone removed from the old castle to supplement the construction of a chapel. The loch was later re-flooded and returned to its original level.
The castle you see today is a 16th century Tower House within a large private estate. Photo's can be taken across the loch near to the road, but please do respect the privacy of its owners. The estate is known for its trout fishing.