~ History ~
1491 ~ The Liddles forfeit their estates for treason, with the Hays of Creich taking possession.
1502 ~ The Hays in turn sell the estate to the Beatons. Elizabeth Beaton is a known mistress of King James V andcousin to the influential Cardinal David Beaton.
1548 ~ Robert Beaton accompanies Mary, Queen of Scots, to France. He is later awarded the title of Master of the Household. Mary Beaton is one of the Queen's ladies in waiting.
1553 ~ The castle which includes tower and courtyard is recorded within a charter as being built by Robert Beaton.
1661 ~ The line of the Beaton family does out upon the death of David Beaton. The family do however continue to own the castle until the late 18th century, by which time the castle has fallen into ruin and plundered for its materials in the building of the farmstead.
N.E of Brunton, Near Cupar
B road off A92
Creich Castle is an impressive ruined 16th century L-plan tower house. Located by the river, today the ruins lay within marshy farmland which permission should be sought to gain access.
The original fortification was constructed to provide defence against Viking raiders which attacked the rich farms south of the River Tay and further added to by Causantín, Earl of Fife during the 11th century. The castle continued to be owned by the Earls of Fife into the 13th century.
Sadly there is little known history or events surrending this really interesting ruin.