Craighlaw Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
Situated near the town of Kirkcowan in the Machars, Craighlaw is a much-altered 16th century tower, incorporated into a Victorian mansion.
The castle mansion can be viewed with consideration from the road across the lake, as the grounds are strictly private.
~ History ~
1513 ~ Andrew Muir sells the land to William Gordon of Kenmure. He in turn grants the land to his son William.
1644 ~ Extensive alterations and additional buildings are made to the tower.
1680's ~ The Gordon lands are declared forfeit and are sold, but later recovered in 1685.
1741 ~ Craighlaw passes to the Hamilton's.
1866 ~ The extended tower house is incorporated into a mansion.